Friday, October 30, 2009

Exams are a waste of trees.

F.Y.I. I’ve just recently started to blog, and of all periods i just HADDD to choose a period which was nearing my Finals. arghhh. (WELL DONE, Janice Lee. *pats own shoulder*)
well, it’s that time of the semester again, where lectures end…stress starts to creep in…and midnight oil starts to burn… I, for one, have disliked exams all my life. since primary school years, I’ve hated the exam-oriented academic system. And right up to sec school, my feelings for exams ceased to deviate. But all i can say is that, I’ve been real blessed by God. For although i hated those wretched periods of stress, He still graciously granted me SOME brains and a SLIGHT tinge of intelligence to pull me through my papers safely.

I guess i’d fall into the category of students who would refer to themselves as SLACKERS. Slackers are the kind of students who would actually experience DELAYED-STRESS SYNDROMES (reference from the LEE Dictionary). we tend to NOT feel the urgency to mug just because our greatest talent is PROCRASTINATING and we’ve been disillusioned by the fact that instead of having 24 hours per day, we have 48. So yeah, since we have the whole of eternity to mug, so why start now?

But ever since coming to NUS, boy, was i in for a surprise. in my first sem, i was AMBUSHED by tonnes of assignments, and the switch in the teaching medium from Malay to English really gave me a hell of a time. the lecturers in NUS not only spoke super "chim" English, they spoke English in all kinds of slangs possible!
i still remember the first time i stepped into my econs lecture, i saw this Chinese male lecturer. he looked decent to me, seemed like a pretty nice guy. but when he started talking, i was like...WTHHH??!! i could barely understand him!!! coz his Chinese accent was terribly strong, and i dare swear that he was never taught the use of punctuation marks in his life. besides that, i had 4 other lecturers with different nationalities to deal with. so yeah, it took me quite a while to adjust to the lecturers’ accents.

the methods of teaching were also very different. uni life really requires us to be independent, unlike how we were breast-fed (*spoon-fed would be an understatement*) during secondary. and the fact that I’ve to compete with brilliant students all mostly on scholarships (ESPECIALLY those from CH*NA and IN*IA! => trying to be discreet over here), does not make my life in NUS any much easier… sighh…i guess those good ol’ days are over. time to start mugging.

oh, what bliss~

0 char kueh tiao(s):

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com